Enforcement and Environmental Compliance
A principal mandate of the Conservation Authority is to protect life and property from natural hazards such as flooding and erosion. Our Compliance activities play a pivotal role in achieving this goal by ensuring the requirements of
Ontario Regulation 179/06 are enforced. This means that development does not impact natural hazard lands, interfere with wetlands or watercourses within the
Lake Simcoe watershed.
Our Compliance Officers are designated under the
Conservation Authorities Act for the purpose of enforcing Section 28 of the Act as Provincial Offences Officers. They inspect, investigate and report on complaints of non-compliant development activities within the Lake Simcoe watershed. They also inspect and ensure compliance of the terms and conditions of permits that have been issued.
Our Compliance Officers:
- provide information and education regarding the regulations and development restrictions within the watershed;
- liaise with contractors on approved work sites;
- inspect and investigate potential violation sites;
- ensure compliance with the terms and conditions of permits we've issued
- resolve minor infractions through cooperation with landowners;
- follow up on mitigation measures outlined in issued permits.
Note the online form is NOT for conservation area complaints.