Training and Development
Our training and development programming consists of workshops, resource kits and volunteer opportunities to support education professionals, practitioners and pre-service teacher candidates. Programs and services are designed, developed and delivered to support and advance the transfer of knowledge and skills required to achieve a healthy Lake Simcoe watershed.
Teacher Professional Development Workshops
Each year, we partner with our local school boards and various professional associations to offer and support teacher professional development workshops and events. We are happy to custom-design PD workshops to suit your needs. Contact us to learn more!
Here's a sample of past workshops:
- Sensational Snow - Learn about the amazing structure of snow and some of the physical and behavioural adaptations animals use to survive through the winter.
- Growing Your “App"-titude: Online Tools for Citizen Science - Introduction to popular apps such as iNaturalist and practice honing your skills in the identification of flora and fauna while contributing to citizen science and monitoring programs.
- Dip, Dip, Hooray - An experiential and hands-on learning opportunity to investigate the smallest aquatic creatures in our local water systems and how to share this learning with your students.
- Tree-mendous Learning - An opportunity to learn about engaging and hands-on activities linked to curriculum for language, math, science and art using trees as the major theme.
- A Trip through the Data Portal - An opportunity to learn more about our newly launched, publically accessible data portal! Learn with us while we gather data in the field, compare it with scientists data, and identify ways to use the data portal to augment your current teaching resources.
Teacher Resource Kits
These have been developed as outdoor learning starter kits to assist teachers interested in using outdoor spaces to augment their classroom teaching. Items in the kits have been specifically chosen to provide a wide range of uses.
In addition, a USB thumb drive is included that is loaded with a variety of resources, activity ideas and learning sparks designed with the busy teacher in mind! Available at a cost of $40 + shipping and HST. Contact us for more information or to order your kit.
We love outdoor and environmental education and we want you to as well! But it's about more than the desire to take kids outside to learn – you need to feel comfortable in doing so. We offer a variety of volunteer opportunities to help build your capacity and support you on your professional learning journey. Whether you are a practitioner looking to gain first-hand experience in outdoor education or you are a pre-service teacher candidate, we can help. Please contact us at education@LSRCA.on.ca to learn more.