Specialist High Skills Major
What is a Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM)?
A SHSM is a ministry-approved specialized program
that allows students to focus their learning on a specific
economic sector while meeting the requirements to
graduate from secondary school. It also assists in their
transition after graduation to apprenticeship training, college, university or the workplace.
How can we help?
Our education team can help support your SHSM program across a variety of sectors. We offer half-day and full-day certifications, including:
Half-day (3 hours):
- Species Identification – Plankton and Aquatic Microorganisms
- Species Identification – Benthic Invertebrates
- Risk Management
- Wilderness Survival
- Wilderness First Aid (students must have completed SFA training prior to taking this course)
Full-day (6 hours):
- Map, Compass and GPS
- Innovation, Creativity and Entrepreneurship (I.C.E.)
Why not combine two half-day courses for a full day!
Courses are available at the Scanlon Creek Nature Centre or may be available in your own school community. Courses include:
- hands-on and experiential learning
- delivery by OCT-certified teachers and outdoor education specialists
- written and practical evaluations
- certificates of completion for students
We’d love to hear from you!
What SHSM certification courses are you looking for? We are happy to work with you to design courses to meet your needs.
We also offer teacher training opportunities, cooperative education placements and reach-ahead experiences that align with students’ interests.
For pricing and additional information contact: