Climate Change Adaptation Strategy
Watershed Trends and Projections
Take a look at the trends and projections for the Lake Simcoe watershed in this infographic (or scroll down to read the text version).
Annual Mean Temperatures
Annual temperatures are expected to increase by up to 5.5ºC.
- Baseline 1981 to 2010 - 6.8ºC
- 2020s - 8.2ºC
- 2050s - 10.1ºC
- 2080s - 12.3ºC
Seasonal Mean Temperatures
Daily temperatures are projected to significantly increase in every season.
Projected increase by 2080:
- Winter (baseline -6ºC) - 6.5ºC
- Spring (baseline 5.5ºC) - 5ºC
- Summer (baseline 19ºC) - 5.5ºC
- Fall (baseline 9ºC) - 5ºC
More hot days, fewer cold days.
Days above 30ºC
- Baseline - 6
- 2020s - 14
- 2050s - 27
- 2080s - 48
Days below -10ºC
- Baseline - 38
- 2020s - 32
- 2050s - 24
- 2080s - 16
- Intensity - Precipitation will fall at a faster rate.
- Duration - The duration of heavy storms will increase.
- Frequency - Heavy storms will occur more frequently.
Annual Mean Precipitation
Annual precipitation is expected to increase. Winter and spring are projected to be significantly wetter.
- Baseline 1976 to 2005 - 884mm
- 2021 to 2050 - 941mm
- 2051 to 2080 - 970mm
Last frost days will be earlier, and first frost days will be later.
- Baseline 1976 to 2005 - 148.1 days
- 2021 to 2050 - 171.7 days
- 2051 to 2080 - 193.3 days