Upgrading Septic Systems
If you live in a high-risk area around a municipal water supply well or surface water intake, you may qualify for funding to help you repair, upgrade or replace your septic system. We may cover 50% of project costs, up to $2,500, for eligible landowners.
What projects are eligible?
- The system must be within a high-risk area around a municipal water supply well or surface water intake to be eligible.
- Repair, upgrade or replacement of an existing private septic system which is faulty or malfunctioning, or is greater than 20 years in age.
- Projects must demonstrate a potential to improve local water quality.
- LSRCA will consider innovative projects if they meet the objective of the category
- Documentation is required that describes why the existing system requires an upgrade. This must be prepared by a licensed septic system installer or a municipal representative.
- Acceptable “proof of age” documentation may include a letter from the municipal building department or health unit, original site plans, permits or installation records.
- Two (2) written quotations based on the existing structure, from licensed septic contractors, with reference to their BCIN, are required with your application.
- Applicants are responsible for obtaining all required permits from their municipality, Health Unit, LSRCA, and others where applicable.
What costs may be covered?
- Professional design fees
- Materials and labour associated with an approved project, when delivered by an Ontario licensed septic installer.
What isn't covered?
- System upgrades to facilitate household expansion (ie: additional square footage or addition of dishwashers, bathrooms or other devices that increase wastewater volume)
- Machinery or equipment owned and used by the applicant, family dependents or the applicant's business
- Labour of applicant, family dependents or the applicant's business
- If you have an outstanding violation with LSRCA, you will not be eligible for funding
- Work required as a condition of a municipal planning or LSRCA permit will not be eligible
- Work that proceeds prior to funding approval does not qualify for funding assistance
How to Apply
Complete the Landowner Information Form and the Project Profile Form to submit an application.
Be prepared to submit the following with your application:
- Completed and submitted a Landowner Information Form
- Site plan
- Two cost quotations from qualified contractors (with BCIN - Building Code Identification Number referenced)
- Documentation of condition of existing system prepared by a licensed septic system installer or municipal representative
- Documentation of septic age (may include letter from municipal building department or health unit, original site plans, permits or installation records)
Only complete applications will be considered for funding assistance.
Please contact a Restoration Specialist to verify program eligibility and to answer any questions/concerns you may have about the program and/or the application process. This is a voluntary program and all calls are confidential.