The Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority (LSRCA) is seeking an
Full time, Bradford, Ontario (TLO December and January Annually)
Salary Range: $56,228 – 65,778
Reporting to the Manager, Education, the Outdoor Educator is responsible for delivering education programs at the Nature Centre within Scanlon Creek Conservation Area and leading various summer camp initiatives.
What you offer:
- A 4 year university bachelor's degree in Education, Environmental Studies/Science, or Outdoor Recreation.
- Ontario Certified Teacher in good standing with the Ontario College of Teachers is an asset.
- Minimum of 2 years related experience.
- Demonstrated experience leading outdoor environmental education programs to students from elementary to secondary levels applying a variety of methodologies.
- Knowledge of the provincial education curriculum primarily in science, geography, history and social studies for multiple grade levels.
- Strong time management, problem solving and decision making skills are required.
- Strong presentation skills combined with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Sound judgment, risk management and classroom management skills are required.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook).
- Must possess current Standard First Aid/CPR certification.
- A clear Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) must be obtained prior to commencement of employment.
- Valid G class drivers' license with own vehicle (Note: work sites are generally not accessible by public transit; some travel throughout the watershed will be required).
- Ability to work flexible hours with some evening and weekends.
What you will do:
- Deliver curriculum-linked outdoor education programming to students from K to Grade 12 at Scanlon Creek Conservation Area (February to June, September to November).
- Assist with the preparation and development of activities, presentations, exhibits and lesson plans.
- Lead various summer camp programs for youth ages 6-12 at locations throughout the watershed (July and August). Includes supervision of Jr. Camp Counselors.
- Attend/participate in formal and informal professional development opportunities, departmental and organizational training and meetings, as required.
- Prepare, maintain and repair programming materials and equipment.
- Assist with community events as required
Start Date: January 29, 2018
Hours of work: 35 hour work week
*Note that this position will be subject to a temporary lay-off (TLO) for the months of December and January annually.
Please apply directly to careers@LSRCA.on.ca, with a single pdf document that includes a résumé and covering letter to LSRCA's Human Resources, referencing Competition #22-2017 by 4:00 pm on Friday, December 8, 2017.
The LSRCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. If contacted in regards to this competition, please advise the Human Resources Representative of accommodation measures you may require during our selection process.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all applicants for their interest in the LSRCA; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.