Invasive Species Community Outreach Liaison
Summer Contract Position
Along with the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH), LSRCA is currently searching for a hard-working, motivated individual to assist with the Invading Species Awareness Program (ISAP).
What you will do:
- Liaise with community groups and resource professionals to assist in the development of invading species awareness initiatives.
- Attend and provide support to community events, such as fishing derbies or community fairs.
- Deliver and deliver presentations to various community organizations.
- Coordinate community groups in stewardship and monitoring activities.
- Develop educational materials on invasive species/contribute articles to local newspapers/newsletters.
Education and Qualifications:
- Enrolled in post-secondary education in biology, environmental science or a related resource management program.
- Registered as a full-time student in post-secondary education for the 2017-2018 academic school year in one of the above related fields, and enrollment in post-secondary education for the Fall of 2018.
- Between the ages of 15 and 30 at the beginning of employment.
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
What you will offer:
- Knowledge of invasive species affecting local environments.
- Species identification skills.
- Knowledge and skills relating to monitoring local waters and natural areas for invasive species.
- Experience networking with resource professionals/agencies and engaging volunteers/public in invading species awareness and stewardship projects.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including experience conveying information to the public (e.g. presentations to community/contributing articles to newspapers/newsletters).
- Familiar with computer and database management skills (MS Office, MS Outlook, Internet).
- Knowledge of the principles of field work, such as accurate data recording, use of technical equipment, and record keeping.
- Ability to work flexible hours and perform occasional field work.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Proof of enrollment in post-secondary education for the Fall of 2018 (e.g. letter from the school, time table, etc.).
- Valid G driver's license.
- Valid police reference check.
- Valid OFAH Membership.
- Valid Emergency First Aid.
Hours of Work: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Possible weekend and evening work if required
Start Date: June 11, 2018
Please forward a single pdf document that includes a résumé and covering letter to LSRCA's Human Resources, referencing Competition #13-2018, by 4:00 pm on April 27, 2018 to careers@LSRCA.on.ca.
LSRCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), LSRCA will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you are contacted in regards to this competition and you require disability – related accommodations, please inform Human Resources.
All personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We thank all applicants for their interest in the LSRCA; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.