Natural Heritage Ecologist
Regular, Full Time
Annual Salary: $74,833 to $87,551
Reporting to the Director, Planning, the Natural Heritage Ecologist is responsible for supporting and implementing the Authority's Natural Heritage program. You will review all Planning Act, Environmental Assessment Act and Conservation Authorities Act applications with Natural Heritage requirements, participate in policy and guideline development and strategic plan initiatives and specific programs (e.g., species at risk, invasive species, and terrestrial ecology management).
What you offer
- Bachelor of Science specializing in Ecology, Biology or Environmental Science.
- Minimum of 5 years related experience.
- Experience with biological/ecological protocols and industry standards such as: Ecological Land Classification (ELC), Ontario Wetland Evaluation System (OWES), and air photo/orthophoto interpretation.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, Ontario flora/fauna identification, wetland forms and functions, channel designs
- Knowledge of and experience with engineering, hydrogeological and land use planning disciplines.
- Effective negotiation, facilitation, relationship building, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Strong attention to detail and professional communication skills (oral and written).
- Knowledge of federal, provincial legislation including the Planning Act and Provincial Policy Statement, Conservation Authorities Act, Greenbelt Act and Plan, The Oak Ridges Moraine Act and Plan, Lake Simcoe Protection Act and Plan, Endangered Species Act, Fisheries Act, Municipal policies; etc.
- Proficiency with Office 365 (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and Teams) and ArcGIS.
- A valid G class driver's license.
What you will do
- Provide natural heritage review of and comment on environmental impact studies/Natural Heritage Evaluations submitted in support of applications made under the Planning Act, Environmental Assessment Act and Conservation Authorities Act.
- ttend meetings with agencies, proponents, and stakeholders to discuss level of detail of study, expectations, existing conditions etc.
- Review reports and provide written review comments to Director, Planning, Planner 1's and Planner 2's regarding content, policy and guideline conformity from a NH perspective, impact assessment and conclusions, appropriateness of planting/restoration plans and any additional required information.
- Conduct site evaluations, when required, to understand features, functions and layout of property, stake features, wetland boundaries etc.
- Assist the Director, Planning with the creation or revision of guidelines and policies for the Authority related to Natural Heritage.
- Provide natural heritage review of and comment on regulation applications and violations pertaining to Ontario Regulation 179/06.
- Implement natural heritage projects as required from Strategic Plan initiatives such as species at risk, invasive species, breeding birds, ELC.
- Conduct presentations on natural heritage at workshops or special events as required.
November 2021 (Alternate weeks in the office and remote until end of 2021)
Hours of Work
35-hour work week, Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
Please forward a single pdf document that includes a résumé and covering letter to the Authority's Human Resources, referencing Competition #27-2021, by 4:00 pm on October 20, 2021, to careers@LSRCA.on.ca.
The Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, the Authority will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you are contacted regarding this competition and you require disability related accommodations, please inform Human Resources.
All personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We thank all applicants for their interest in the Authority; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.