Natural Heritage Assistant
8 Month Contract
Virtual until we re-open our office in Newmarket, Ontario
Hourly Wage: $23.32
Reporting to the GIS Coordinator, the Natural Heritage Assistant will provide support to the GIS department in reviewing and updating natural heritage data in the Conservation Authority's GIS database.
What you offer
- Post-Secondary education and related work experience in the field of ecology, geography, forestry, biology, and/or environmental studies.
- Excellent air photo/orthophotography interpretation skills.
- Familiarity with the Ecological Land Classification (ELC) system including basic plant identification.
- Knowledge of GIS, specifically ESRI Arc Map and best management practices.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent organizational, written, and verbal communication skills.
What you will do
- Work closely with the GIS Technician in digitizing and classifying natural heritage features in the Lake Simcoe watershed, based on recent orthophotography and field data.
- Create and update the land cover mapping dataset using GIS.
- Produce simple maps using approved data in the GIS database.
- Occasional field work to visit sites to confirm natural area classifications in the field.
- Assist with writing reports related to metadata and methodology.
- Other duties as assigned.
Hours of work
35-hour work week, Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
Please forward a single pdf document that includes a résumé and covering letter to the Authority's Human Resources, referencing Competition #7-2021, by 4:00 pm on March 7, 2021 to careers@LSRCA.on.ca.
The Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, the Authority will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you are contacted regarding this competition and you require disability related accommodations, please inform Human Resources.
All personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We thank all applicants for their interest in the Authority; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.