Regular, Full Time
Annual Salary: $55,793 - $65,275
Reporting to the GIS Coordinator, the GIS Technician is responsible for assisting in capturing and maintaining the Authority's geospatial data and metadata, creation of models and databases, producing cartographic products and reports, undertaking analysis, contributing to departmental projects, and assisting in the implementation of GIS applications.
What you offer
- A University Degree in Geography, GIS or a Degree in a related discipline.
- Minimum of one-year related experience required.
- 1 Year post grad GIS certificate, an asset.
- Comprehensive knowledge of GIS principles, standards, and methods of storing, managing, integrating, and presenting spatially referenced data.
- Proficient in the operation and use of ArcGIS suite of products (Pro, AGOL, ArcView 10.x, ArcSDE, ArcGIS Server) and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- An understanding of the concepts behind data management in a relational database.
- Strong attention to detail and technical expertise.
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives.
What you will do
- Create new GIS spatial data layers from air photo interpretation, field data such as GPS data, data from other departments and outside agencies.
- Update and maintain existing GIS layers (i.e., wetlands, roads, watersheds, land cover etc.).
- Edit and create layers of data through digitization, georeferencing and modelling.
- Perform QA/QC on data sets for topology or tabular errors to ensure accuracy and validity of the information Authority staff use for decision making.
- Create and update metadata for GIS data layers to ensure Authority staff are using the correct data for their respective projects.
- Determine how to analyze spatial relationships including adjacency, containment, and proximity.
- Analyze and determine the nature of the information (i.e., location, trend, pattern, routing and modelling various serious events) and produce tabular data.
- Review requests and provide advice to Authority staff as to the best format and cartographic product that should be used and create cartographic products using a variety of layers as required by Authority departments.
- Assist with the project management of data requests including defining goals, objectives, scope, approach, deliverables and ensure completion.
- Provide GIS support to Authority staff through GIS software assistant, advice, troubleshooting and problem-solving issues.
January 2022 (Alternate weeks in the office and remote until March then in the office)
Hours of Work
35-hour work week, Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
Please forward a single pdf document that includes a résumé and covering letter to the Authority's Human Resources, referencing Competition #25-2021, by 4:00 pm on November 21, 2021, to careers@LSRCA.on.ca.
The Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, the Authority will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you are contacted regarding this competition and you require disability related accommodations, please inform Human Resources.
In accordance with Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all new employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire, unless medically exempt or otherwise exempt under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Successful candidates will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to show proof prior to their employment start date. Acceptable proof includes a government-issued vaccine passport or certification.
In the event that a candidate is unable to be vaccinated as a result of a ground protected by the Ontario Human Rights Code, the candidate must submit a written explanation of the ground and any supporting documentation to determine if they are exempt from this requirement.
All personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We thank all applicants for their interest in the Authority; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.