15 Month Contract
Virtual until we re-open our office in Newmarket, Ontario
Hourly Wage: $30.35
Reporting to the GIS Coordinator your primary role will work in collaboration with other GIS staff to update the LSRCA landcover dataset. The GIS Technician will work with the GIS Analyst and the Natural Heritage Assistant to collect, update and undertake analysis and topology reviews to update the landcover data. You will also produce maps and perform analysis to support projects being led by the GIS team to assist staff in meeting LSRCA's strategic goals for the protection and restoration of Lake Simcoe and its surrounding watersheds.
What you offer
- A University Degree in Geography, GIS or a Degree in a related discipline.
- Minimum of one-year related experience required.
- 1 Year post grad GIS certificate, an asset.
- Comprehensive knowledge of GIS principles, standards and methods of storing, managing, integrating and presenting spatially referenced data.
- Proficient in the operation and use of ArcGIS suite of products (ArcView 10.x, ArcSDE, ArcGIS Server) and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- An understanding of the concepts behind data management in a relational database.
- Strong attention to detail and technical expertise.
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives.
What you will do
- Assist with the maintenance and creation of LSRCA's GIS Databases.
- Assist with the production of LSRCA GIS products and services by performing data analysis and querying, map production, reports and tabular summaries as required by LSRCA programs.
- Assist with the interpretation and analyze GIS data to create and update core environmental GIS databases such as landcover.
- Assist with ensuring information is accurate, complete and updated according to data models and protocols with LSRCA information enterprise database.
- Perform analysis based on spatial information and communicate findings to internal departments and external agencies.
- Edit and create GIS layers through digitization, georeferencing, analysis and modeling.
- Prepare maps and data in response to data requests from internal and external clients.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality, seamless customer service.
- Perform other related duties as directed.
Hours of work
35-hour work week, Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
Please forward a single pdf document that includes a résumé and covering letter to the Authority's Human Resources, referencing Competition #4-2021, by 4:00 pm on February 21, 2021 to careers@LSRCA.on.ca.
The Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, the Authority will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you are contacted regarding this competition and you require disability related accommodations, please inform Human Resources.
All personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We thank all applicants for their interest in the Authority; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.