12 Week Contract
Virtual until we re-open our office in Newmarket, Ontario
Hourly Wage: $18.00
Reporting to the GIS Coordinator you will work in collaboration with other GIS staff to provide support in the update of the LSRCA landcover dataset. The GIS Assistant will collect, update and produce simple maps to support projects being led by the GIS team to assist staff in meeting LSRCA's strategic goals for the protection and restoration of Lake Simcoe and its surrounding watersheds.
What you offer
- Some Post-Secondary in GIS or Geography.
- Basic knowledge of and experience with Arc GIS desktop.
- Understanding of GIS best management practices.
- Knowledge of air photo interpretation.
- Time management and organizational skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
What you will do
- Review aerial photography and identify areas of change.
- Assist the GIS Technician with the creation of GIS spatial data layers from air photo interpretation and field data.
- Provide updates to the GIS Coordinator on project status.
- Identify topology errors and correct those errors based on guidance from GIS Technician.
- Produce simple maps using existing approved data in the GIS centralized database.
- Contact partner agencies to obtain data.
- Create metadata and methodology documents.
- Other duties as assigned.
Hours of work
35-hour work week, Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
Please forward a single pdf document that includes a résumé and covering letter to the Authority's Human Resources, referencing Competition #5-2021, by 4:00 pm on March 7, 2021 to careers@LSRCA.on.ca.
The Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, the Authority will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you are contacted regarding this competition and you require disability related accommodations, please inform Human Resources.
All personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We thank all applicants for their interest in the Authority; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.