Environmental Compliance Officer
Regular, Full Time, Newmarket Office
Salary Range $63,663 - $74,477
The Environmental Compliance Officer is responsible for the enforcement of the regulations of the Conservation Authority adopted under Section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act under the direction of the Manager, Regulations
What you will do:
- Investigate complaints and violations of Ontario Regulation 179/06 made under section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act.
- Enforce Regulation 179/06 made under the Conservation Authorities Act
- Inspect works in progress or completed, to ensure works are in compliance with permits granted by the LSRCA under Ontario Regulation 179/06.
- Issue Notice of Violations to document unauthorized development/works.
- Issue retroactive permits under Ontario Regulation 179/06.
- Determine appropriate measures/recommend the course of action required to bring work into compliance with LSRCA requirements.
- Represent the LSRCA at legal proceedings related to violations under Ontario Regulation 179/06, as necessary.
What you offer:
- A post-secondary degree/diploma in Environmental Science, Geography, Ecology, Water Resources Management, Natural Resources Law Enforcement, or a related field.
- A minimum of 3 years relevant work experience.
- Provincial Offences Officer designation under Section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act, considered an asset.
- Knowledge and experience of legal proceedings related to the collection of evidence, inspections, investigation and enforcement procedures and protocols.
- Working knowledge of the Conservation Authorities Act and Section 28 Regulation in particular, as well as other related provincial and federal environmental legislation and protocols.
- Strong problem solving, analytical, negotiation, organization, collaborative and facilitation skills.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) skills are essential.
- Strong computer skills with experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access along with knowledge of Geographical Information System (GIS) applications and use of a Global Positioning System (GPS).
- A positive and proactive attitude to resolve compliance matters.
- The successful Environmental Compliance Officer will be required to provide LSRCA with a Police Record Check prior to commencing employment.
- A valid G class driver's license.
Start Date: February 2019
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday (8:30 am – 4:30 pm)
Please apply directly to careers@LSRCA.on.ca, with a single pdf document that includes a résumé and covering letter to LSRCA's Human Resources, referencing Competition #21-2018, by 4:00 pm on Wednesday, December 19th, 2018. Please note that successful applicants will not be contacted for interviews until early January 2019.
LSRCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), LSRCA will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you are contacted in regards to this competition and you require disability – related accommodations, please inform Human Resources.
All personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We thank all applicants for their interest in the LSRCA; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.