Environmental Compliance Officer
Regular Full time
Salary Range: $71,036.60 - $83,100.47
The Environmental Compliance Officer is responsible for the enforcement of the regulations of the Conservation Authority adopted under Section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act under the direction of the Director, Regulations.
What you will do
- Investigate complaints and violations of Ontario Regulation 179/06 made under section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act.
- Enforce Regulation 179/06 made under the Conservation Authorities Act.
- Inspect development, to ensure works are in compliance with permits granted by the LSRCA under Ontario Regulation 179/06.
- Issue Notice of Violations and obtain resolutions for unauthorized development.
- Issue retroactive permits under Ontario Regulation 179/06.
- Determine appropriate measures/recommend the course of action required to bring work into compliance with LSRCA requirements.
- Represent the LSRCA at legal proceedings related to offences under Ontario Regulation 179/06, as necessary.
What you offer
- A post-secondary degree/diploma in Environmental Science, Geography, Ecology, Water Resources Management, Natural Resources Law Enforcement, or a related field.
- A minimum of 3 years relevant work experience.
- Provincial Offences Officer designation under Section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act, considered an asset.
- Knowledge and experience of legal proceedings related to the collection of evidence, inspections, investigation and enforcement procedures and protocols.
- Working knowledge of the Conservation Authorities Act and Section 28 Regulation in particular, as well as other related provincial and federal environmental legislation and protocols.
- Strong problem solving, analytical, negotiation, organization, collaborative and facilitation skills.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) skills are essential.
- Strong computer skills with experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access along with knowledge of Geographical Information System (GIS) applications and use of a Global Positioning System (GPS).
- A positive and proactive attitude to resolve compliance matters.
- The successful Environmental Compliance Officer will be required to provide LSRCA with a Police Record Check prior to commencing employment.
- A valid G class driver's license.
Hours of Work
35-hour work week, Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
Please forward a single pdf document that includes a résumé and covering letter to the Authority's Human Resources Department, referencing Competition #01-2022, by 4:00 pm on January 23, 2022, to careers@LSRCA.on.ca.
The Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, the Authority will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you are contacted regarding this competition and you require disability related accommodations, please inform Human Resources.
In accordance with Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all new employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire, unless medically exempt or otherwise exempt under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Successful candidates will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to show proof prior to their employment start date. Acceptable proof includes a government-issued vaccine passport or certification.
In the event that a candidate is unable to be vaccinated as a result of a ground protected by the Ontario Human Rights Code, the candidate must submit a written explanation of the ground and any supporting documentation to determine if they are exempt from this requirement.
All personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We thank all applicants for their interest in the Authority; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.