The Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority (the Authority) is seeking a
Full time, Newmarket, Ontario
Position will work temporarily from home until Authority offices re-open
Annual Salary: $102,777 to $120,222
Reporting to the General Manager, Planning, Development and Watershed Restoration Services, the Director, Engineering is responsible for the leadership of the Authority's Engineering department. The Director, Engineering will also provide technical review of development proposals, technical comments and advice to staff, sign off on Authority permits, operate the flood forecasting and warning system, operate and maintain Authority dams, and coordinate reviews of environmental assessments.
What you offer
- A 4-year university BSc. in Civil Engineering.
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) license (Ontario).
- 8 years of senior level related experience.
- Experience with civil engineering, reviewing development proposals, stormwater management design, flood line mapping projects and floodplain management.
- Leadership experience with respect to coaching, conflict resolution, negotiation, performance and project management.
- Strong time management, budget management, sound judgment, problem solving, and decision-making skills are required.
- Excellent communication and report writing skills.
- Experience interacting with clients, stakeholders, senior staff and elected officials.
- Familiar with applicable legislation (Federal, Provincial, Municipal, and the Conservation Authorities Act).
- Both public and private sector experience.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook), Arc View, HEC RAS, HEC2, OTTHYMO.
- Valid G class drivers' license.
What you will do
- Manage the Engineering department by coaching, supervising, and ensuring staff have the appropriate tools to complete reviews and deliverables.
- Develop the annual budget for flood control, flood warnings and the Engineering department.
- Responsible for providing policy and technical comments and advice to staff pertaining to the Conservation Authorities Act and associated regulations.
- Provide technical comments pertaining to regulation 179/06, the Authority's Stormwater Management Guidelines and Watershed Development Policies, and Low Impact Development approaches.
- Review Stormwater Management Master Plan terms of reference for municipalities and provide technical comments.
- Oversee the review of phosphorus budgets for the Lake Simcoe Phosphorous Offset Program.
- Coordinate the review of applications, issue permits and sign off on major municipal, subdivision/site plan and utilities permits.
- Provide sign off authority of permits for municipal infrastructure and plan review and for comment letters issued for flood and fill line issues per the Conservation Authorities Act.
- Operate the flood forecasting and warning systems for the Authority.
- Coordinate, review and comment on master servicing plans, environmental assessments (i.e. bridges).
- Attend meetings with developers, consultants and Flood Warning coordinators.
- Sit on the Full Management Team to collaboratively develop and execute corporate priorities.
- Responsible for other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
- May assume the role of Acting General Manager in their absence.
Hours of work
35-hour work week, Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
Please apply directly to firstname.lastname@example.org, with a single pdf document that includes a résumé and covering letter to the Authority's Human Resources department, referencing Competition #22-2020, by Friday, January 15, 2021 at 4:00 pm.
The Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, the Authority will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you are contacted regarding this competition and you require disability related accommodations, please inform Human Resources.
All personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We thank all applicants for their interest in the Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.