Climate Change Specialist
Regular, Full Time, Newmarket/Bradford, Ontario
Salary Range $69,123.60 to $80,862.60
The Climate Change Specialist is responsible for coordinating the implementation of LSRCA's Climate Change Adaptation Strategy, Climate Mitigation Strategy, and Corporate Carbon Reduction Strategy, and to update these documents on a periodic basis. You will work with colleagues to identify impacts of climate change on watershed health and recommend programs and projects to resolve issues under the direction of the Manager, Watershed Plans and Strategies. Working with internal and external partners, you will undertake priority projects to both reduce LSRCA's carbon footprint, and to increase climate resilience in the Lake Simcoe watershed.
What you will do:
- Work with colleagues to coordinate the implementation of climate adaptation and mitigation, carbon reduction and strategic plan recommendations.
- Promote and assist in the delivery of training programs related to climate change.
- Prepare tools, guidelines and other resources needed to implement climate change plans and strategic plan recommendations.
- Prepare annual work plan for the corporate carbon reduction strategy.
- Undertake background studies to support climate change and strategic plan implementation activities.
- Conduct research, and analyze data in support of development, revision and refinement of climate change and strategic plans.
- Undertake annual inventory of corporate carbon emissions and prepare progress report.
- Provide project management for internal projects and relevant external consultant projects.
- Participate in municipal working groups to promote consistency and collaboration in climate action.
- Update climate adaptation, climate mitigation and corporate carbon reduction strategies, participate in public consultation sessions, coordinate climate change planning working group activities and meetings, conduct research and develop recommendations to address issues.
What you offer:
- A BSc. in Environmental Science, Biology, Geography, Climate Change, Water Resources, or a related field.
- A minimum of 3 years relevant work experience.
- Strong project management, organizational, problem solving and time management skills.
- Working knowledge of Provincial and Federal standards, regulations and guidelines and applicable legislation.
- Experience in analyzing and interpreting environmental and carbon emission/sequestration data.
- Strong understanding of climate change adaptation and mitigation process and principles.
- Ability to interpret technical information and identify potential solutions to environmental issues in the context of existing legislation and policies.
- Ability to translate technical information into a format to be used by audiences of varying levels of understanding of concepts or issues.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient with the use of Microsoft Office applications and ArcMap.
- A valid G class driver's license.
Start Date: April, 2020
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday (8:30 am – 4:30 pm)
Please apply directly to careers@LSRCA.on.ca, with a single pdf document that includes a résumé and covering letter to LSRCA's Human Resources, referencing Competition #10-2020, by 4:00 pm on March 13, 2020.
LSRCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), LSRCA will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you are contacted regarding this competition and you require disability – related accommodations, please inform Human Resources.
All personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We thank all applicants for their interest in the LSRCA; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.