Well Management on Farms
The purpose of this program is to help landowners through the process of decommissioning their unused wells for the safety of their family and to prevent groundwater contamination.
The objective of this grant is to reduce the risk of groundwater contamination by implementing proper construction, maintenance, safe guards and decommissioning for existing water wells on farms in accordance with Ontario Regulation 903.
Landowners within the Lake Simcoe watershed may qualify for grants of 50 per cent of project costs for eligible projects, to a maximum of $1,500. Additional funds may be available from other environmental grant funding sources. LSRCA Restoration Specialists will ensure that you are made aware of all the grant funding programs available to you.
What projects are eligible?
- Installing pitless adapter to replace drilled well pits
- Grading and permanently seeding soil surface around the well
- Sealing the space between the well and soil
- Upgrading or replacement of damaged casing
- Extending well casing to 40cm (16 inches) above finished ground level
- Earth moving to divert water away from wellheads
- Installing proper wellhead cap
- Decommissioning of unused wells
- All work must be completed by an Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC), licensed well contractor and/or technician in accordance with O.Reg. 903.
- To find a licensed well contractor in your area, visit MOECC’s Directory of Licensed Well Contractors in Ontario or contact the Wells Help Desk (toll free) at 1-888-396-9355.
- Two written cost quotations from licensed well contractors are required with your application. Please ensure the contractor includes their license number on their quotation.
What costs may be covered?
- Licensed contractor fees associated with an approved project
- Wiring and plumbing costs associated with well upgrades
- Materials and labour associated with an approved project
What isn't covered?
- Drilling of new wells
- Well pumps, water purification and/or treatment systems
- Any costs associated with work undertaken by the applicant, family dependents, or the applicant’s business
- Labour of applicant, family dependents, or the applicant’s business
- If you have an outstanding violation with LSRCA, you will not be eligible for funding
Work that proceeds prior to funding approval does not qualify for funding assistance
How to Apply
Please review the following documents. You are required to print and submit by mail or hand-deliver the completed checklist, application form and project profile, as a complete application package, to your area Restoration Project Specialist.
- Applicant Information Form
- Application Checklist
- Project Guidelines
- Project Profile Form
TIP: Refer to the Application Checklist to ensure you are completing and submitting all required documents for a complete application package. Only complete applications will be considered for funding assistance.
Please contact a
Restoration Project Specialist to verify program eligibility and to answer any questions/concerns you may have about the program and/or the application process. This is a voluntary program and all calls are confidential.