History of Bogart Creek
Bogart Creek is one of the main waterways through Newmarket. Its name comes from John Bogart, who came to the Newmarket area in 1805. He established a gristmill and sawmill in the area now known as Bogart Pond. The mill operated there until the early 1900s.
In 1811, Eli Gorham constructed a dam across Bogart Creek (near the current College Manor Park) and built a water-powered mill, relocating the wool processing machinery to a mill at Gorham and Hamilton Street. Several natural disasters plagued the mill. In 1878, a flood caused by a hurricane washed out the dam, and in 1879, the mill was destroyed by fire. After its reconstruction, it was enlarged and renamed the Phoenix Woollen Mills. In 1896 the mill was changed into a tannery, but it soon became derelict and it was demolished in 1907. Part of the property was acquired by Mr. and Mrs. Kid in the 1940s and developed into a garden and orchard with many varieties of flowers and evergreens.
Another historical event related to the Bogart Creek is the Stickwood Brickyard. Isaac Stickwood arrived in Newmarket in 1859 and purchased the Srigley Property, north of today's Srigley and West of Stickwood Court. He made his first kiln of bricks in 1860 and continued until 1871, when he turned over the business to his eldest son William. William carried on the business until 1886 when he purchased the Stickwood farm (now known as the Stickwood Walker Farm) at Bogart town, where his granddaughter Mrs. William Walker lived.
The Bogart Creek traversed the Pickering College property when it was established in 1906 as a Quaker residence school for boys. The east part of the property was used as a dairy farm until the 1980s, when the land was sold for the residential developments now known as College Manor subdivision.