Planting Cover Crops
The purpose of this program is to help landowners through the process of improving surface water quality by providing ground cover on farm lands to reduce loss of excess nutrients and soil.
Landowners within the Lake Simcoe watershed may qualify for grants of $25 per acre for eligible projects, to a maximum of $2,000. Additional funds may be available from other environmental grant funding sources. LSRCA Stewardship Technicians will ensure that you are made aware of all the grant funding programs available to you.
What projects are eligible?
- Establishment of non-economic cover crops on land where they have not previously been applied
- Applying a new type of cover crop that has not been used previously
- Interplanting of cover crops in-season.
- Where cover cropping has been practiced in previous years, please provide a copy of the previous year's seed list and receipt(s).
- Please provide two (2) written cost estimates for the proposed cover crop seed.
- A detailed, three (3) year cover cropping plan and rotation plan is to be included with the application.
- Successful projects will be considered for annual renewal of the funding assistance for a maximum of three years following LSRCA staff review with the original applicant (landowner).
What costs may be covered?
- Cost of appropriate non-economic cover crop seed
- Consultation and planning fees for eligible acreage.
What isn't covered?
- Machinery or equipment owned and used by the applicant, family dependents or the applicant's business
- Labour of applicant, family dependents or the applicant's business
- If you have an outstanding violation with the LSRCA, you may not be eligible for funding
- Work that proceeds prior to funding approval does not qualify for funding assistance.
How to Apply
Please review the following documents. You are required to print and submit by mail or hand-deliver the completed checklist, application form and project profile as a complete application package to your area Stewardship Technician.
- Project Guidelines
- Application Checklist
- Applicant Information Form
- Project Profile Form
TIP: Use the Application Checklist to ensure you are completing/submitting all required documents. Only complete applications will be considered for funding assistance.
Please contact your Stewardship Technician to verify eligibility and to answer any questions or concerns you may have about the program or the application process. LEAP is a voluntary program and all calls are confidential.