Enhancing Wildlife Habitat
The purpose of this program is to protect or enhance aquatic and terrestrial wildlife by creating and/or restoring wildlife habitat areas.
Landowners within the Lake Simcoe watershed may qualify for grants of 50 per cent of project costs for eligible projects, to a maximum of $1,000. Additional funds may be available from other environmental grant funding sources. LSRCA Stewardship Technicians will ensure that you are made aware of all the grant funding programs available to you.
What projects are eligible?
- Projects which create or restore wildlife habitat which fulfill the need for food, water, shelter and/or places to raise young.
- Educational signage for environmental projects which are involved with the LSRCA LEAP program.
- Project must be a minimum cost of $500.00
- Projects in or near water may require reviews, approvals, and/or permits from, but not limited to the local municipality, LSRCA, the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans. Such permits are the responsibility of the applicant and must be in place prior to construction.
- Project design must be reviewed by LSRCA staff
- Once completed, the ongoing maintenance and associated costs of the project are the responsibility of the landowner
- All signage must be approved by LSRCA and contain our logo and all other partner logos
- Examples of projects could include installing bird and bat boxes, bird shelters, snake hibernacula, planting native seed mixes and native aquatic and terrestrial plants
- We encourage partnerships and community projects
- We will consider new and innovative projects on a case by case basis
What costs may be covered?
- Materials and labour associated with an approved project
- Professional design fees
- Permit fees
- What isn't covered?
- Any projects associated with non-native and invasive species
- Enhancements for recreational use, or aesthetic purposes
- Any costs associated with work undertaken by a contractor without a current license
- Machinery or equipment owned and used by the applicant, family dependents or the applicant's business
- Labour of applicant, family dependents or the applicant's business
- If you have an outstanding violation with the LSRCA, you may not be eligible for funding
- Work that proceeds prior to funding approval does not qualify for funding assistance.
How To Apply
Please review the following documents. You are required to print and submit by mail or hand-deliver the completed checklist, application form and project profile as a complete application package to your area Stewardship Technician.
- Project Guidelines
- Application Checklist
- Applicant Information Form
- Project Profile Form
TIP: Use the Application Checklist to ensure you are completing/submitting all required documents. Only complete applications will be considered for funding assistance.
Please contact your Stewardship Technician to verify eligibility and to answer any questions or concerns you may have about the program or the application process. LEAP is a voluntary program and all calls are confidential.