The Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority (LSRCA) is seeking
Natural Heritage Assistants
Summer Contract, Full Time
Hourly Range $16.63 - $20.79
The Planning and Development department is seeking two (2) candidates for Natural Heritage Assistant positions who will work primarily with the Natural Heritage Ecologists and support the Conservation Authority's Natural Heritage program. These can include, but are not limited to, Terrestrial Monitoring Program, Marsh Monitoring Program, inventory surveys, Natural Heritage System Restoration Strategy, and public initiatives.
What you will do:
- Working as part of a field crew conducting inventory and monitoring as per the programs of the LSRCA (breeding birds, amphibian monitoring & ELC).
- Assist with field observations and data recording of flora and fauna in the watershed
- Assist in research associated with the projects in the Planning and Development department such as the Natural Heritage System Restoration Strategy
- Assist with report writing, mapping and database management.
- Perform other related duties as directed by the Natural Heritage Ecologist including site inspections, compliance monitoring, data requests and assisting other department initiatives in the Conservation Authority.
- Ensure appropriate behaviour in the field as per the LSRCA Health and Safety Guidelines
What you offer:
- Post-secondary education (active or completed) in biology, ecology or related field or equivalent experience
- Knowledge and/or experience with environmental monitoring
- Experience completing field work and using field equipment
- Ability to complete a variety of tasks with minimal supervision and work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to work under inclement conditions (i.e. bugs, weather and wetlands) and outside of regular business hours (evenings and early mornings)
- Flora and fauna identification skills including amphibian call and bird identification skills
- General understanding with Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), ArcGIS, Airphoto/Orthophoto interpretation and GPS
- Excellent time management, organizational and interpersonal skills combined with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Current first aid/CPR certification
- Valid G class driver's license
Start Date: May 1, 2017 to August 25, 2017
Hours of Work: (35 hour work week)
Please apply directly to careers@LSRCA.on.ca with a single pdf document that includes a résumé and covering letter to LSRCA's Human Resources, referencing Competition #06-2017, by 4:00 pm on March 7, 2017.
The LSRCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. If contacted in regards to this competition, please advise the Human Resources Representative of accommodation measures you may require during our selection process.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all applicants for their interest in the LSRCA; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.