Forestry Program Assistant, Climate Change Study
Full Time Contract: May 23, 2017 – November 24, 2017
Wage Range: $16.63 to $20.79 per hour
The Forestry Program Assistant will assist with the completion of a study of the implications of climate change on afforestation planting programs in the Lake Simcoe watershed, including research, stakeholder consultation and report writing. This position will report to the Manager, Forestry and Stewardship
What you offer:
- Post-secondary education in forestry, ecology, environmental science or a related field.
- Experience in research using peer-reviewed scientific literature, technical reports and interviews with subject-matter experts, and preparing results for audiences with a range of disciplinary backgrounds.
- Strong communications and report writing skills and experience with the presentation of technical information to a variety of audiences.
- Familiarity with basic afforestation practices in southern Ontario.
- Familiarity with the use of green infrastructure and low impact development solutions for stormwater management.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills and ability to be self-directed.
- An interest in climate change and forest management.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications.
- Valid Ontario driver's license.
- Valid First Aid certification is an asset.
What you will do:
- Conduct a literature review of the impacts of climate change on afforestation practices in urban and peri-urban environments.
- Conduct a jurisdictional scan and consult with practitioners and subject-matter experts to identify challenges and solutions for the forecasted impacts of climate change.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of stakeholder workshops with afforestation practitioners to facilitate the collection and distribution of research findings and recommendations.
- Coordinate the development of a brief information document outlining recommendations for afforestation practices to promote tree and shrub survival and enhance the benefits achieved through planting initiatives.
- Prepare a technical report compiling the results of the research undertaken and providing a series of recommendations for best management practices for afforestation in the Lake Simcoe watershed.
- Assist with the preparation of slide presentations for external audiences.
- Assist with the identification of candidate sites for tree and shrub planting for long-term testing and monitoring of the study recommendations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Hours of Work: 35, Monday thru Friday (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
Start Date: May 23, 2017
Please forward a single pdf document that includes a résumé and covering letter to LSRCA's Human Resources, referencing Competition #13-2016, by 4:00 pm on April 28, 2017 to careers@LSRCA.on.ca.
LSRCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), LSRCA will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you are contacted in regards to this competition and you require disability – related accommodations, please inform Human Resources.
All personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We thank all applicants for their interest in the LSRCA; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.